Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Absinthe 17 preview: Virginia Zaharieva

This is the first in a series of posts that will preview the upcoming issue of Absinthe, our 17th, focused on Bulgaria. In this post we present a brief excerpt from Virginia Zaharieva's novel Nine Rabbits.


from Nine Rabbits, translated by Angela Rodel

Tomorrow my husband turns forty. What can I give him when he already has everything? I’ll give him myself.

I go and buy a black corset with garters, stockings and the most whorish pair of red high heels in order to erotically jumpstart our snoozing seven-year-old married life. That evening we go to another birthday party at the luxurious home of a famous poetess and critic whom the literary moguls hover around. I’ve put on the corset, I’m not wearing panties under my luxuriant skirts and while we discuss the problems of hermeneutics and the third phenomenological reduction to maintain erotic tension I discreetly masturbate on the armrest of a chair that the director of the Institute for Contemporary Art has nestled into…. READ MORE by ordering Absinthe 17!


Nine Rabbits will be published by Istros Books in 2012.




Read more about Virginia Zaharieva at the Contemporary Bulgarian Writers site.



No comments: