Thursday, May 17, 2012

Absinthe 17 Preview: Nikolay Boykov


This is the 16th in a series of posts previewing the new issue of Absinthe, our 17th, focused on Bulgaria. In this post we present a poem by Nikolay Boykov.




Dream of the Wall and Key

                                 for Alex Miller


I slept huddled next to a wall of doors
endless like a wall without end
I woke up
in my mouth was a key
I unlocked the first closest door
There in a windowless room
huddled next to the wall opposite the door
a man sat and slept
in his mouth a key
I woke him up
and we went to wake up
the others asleep
behind other doors of white rooms
Until I woke up


Translated by Jonathan Dunne


READ MORE by ordering Absinthe 17.
(c) Neva Micheva


Learn more about Nikolay Boykov and Bulgarian literature at the Contemporary Bulgarian Writers site.

No comments: