Thursday, March 29, 2012

Absinthe Recommends: The Faster I Walk the Smaller I am by Kjersti A. Skomsvold

Now that she’s nearing death Mathea Martinsen feels like it is time to try to reconnect with a world she has largely abandoned (or that has abandoned her). In The Faster I Walk the Smaller I am (Dalkey Archive Press), by Kjersti A. Skomsvold and translated by Kerri A. Pierce, the author has created a quirkily endearing character.

We learn of Mathea’s life with her late husband Epsilon, of their attempt at child-bearing, and her desire for him to retire, a desire that when fulfilled leaves her to herself to muse about her existence, how to continue with life, and how to bring things to an end.
 
A B&N Discover Great New Writers pick, the novel also received the Tarjei Vesaas First Book Prize in 2009. 

Skomsvold was born in Oslo in 1979 and The Faster I Walk the Smaller I am is her first novel. 

No comments: